Sunday, March 17, 2013

"B" Section Quotes for the Day


Looking through the 'B' section can unearth many gems. Here are a few quotes from some choice authors that dwell in the 'B' section of any book or library....

First up....



Charles Baudelaire...

“Always be a poet, even in prose.”





What Chuck is saying here is that every line matters. Something that LA writer and gutter poet Charles Bukowski would have always gone along with....
"God or somebody keeps creating women and tossing them out on the streets, and this one’s ass is too big and that one’s tits are too small, and this one is mad and that one is crazy and that one is a religionist and that one reads tea leaves and this one can’t control her farts, and that one has this big nose, and that one has boney legs . . . But now and then, a woman walks up, full blossom, a woman just bursting out of her dress . . . a sex creature, a curse, the end of it all.” - Charles Bukowski - Post Office, 1971

Anthony Burgess would have considered Buk low class, yet he flirted with the idea of misspent youth in his novel A Clockwork Orange..... A book he wrote after a failed career as an ESL teacher in the Far East...


“The next morning I woke up at oh eight oh oh hours, my brothers, and as I still felt shagged and fagged and fashed and bashed and my glazzies were stuck together real horrorshow with sleepglue, I thought I would not go to school.” - A Clockwork Orange.







William Burroughs was for my money the writer of the 20th century....



"I am not one of those weak-spirited, sappy Americans who want to be liked by all the people around them. I don’t care if people hate my guts; I assume most of them do. The important question is whether they are in a position to do anything about it. My affections, being concentrated over a few people, are not spread all over Hell in a vile attempt to placate sulky, worthless shits.”

 
And Mikhail knew about women. Perhaps more so than Buk....


Mikhail Bulgakov

“Punch a man on the nose, kick an old man downstairs, shoot somebody or any old thing like that, that’s my job. But argue with women in love—no thank you!”  - The Master and Margarita







No comments: